From tiny toddlers to school-age, children love to play outdoors. Playing outdoors can encourage your kids to break away from their screens and interact with the world around them. Here are 10 of the best outdoor sensory toys for children.
Outdoor sensory toys are highly beneficial for children of all ages and abilities. They are especially helpful for children with sensory sensitivities or sensory processing disorders. Sensory toys stimulate a child’s five senses: sight, sound, touch, smell, and taste. They are a great way to help children develop their senses in a safe and natural environment using play. Here are 10 of the best outdoor sensory toys for children.
1. Orto Nature Outdoor Sensory Play Floor Mats
Sensory mats are a great option. They are mats in various sizes that each feature a different texture. Children can then use their hands or feet to feel and play with different textures. These Orto Nature puzzle floor mats have fantastic reviews, and there are many different set types to choose from with bright colours, multiple textures, and fun and unique designs. You can use these mats indoors or outdoors.
- Play mat: Massage your feet and hands with all day play. Good for indoor, outdoor and classroom fun. Exercise mat and foot massager. Each mat is uniquely designed. Childrens time spent playing is never wasted. Multiple fun designs. Occupy hours of play.
2. Kub Original Tuff Tray and Stand
A Tuff Tray is the ideal base for outdoor sensory play. It’s perfect for play in the home or outdoor play in the garden for the messy stuff! Get creative with endless activities for little ones, from sand and water to painting and bubbles. It’s a great way to explore different sounds, smells, textures, and tastes with food play.
- Simple to put together in a few easy steps - No tools required for assembly
3. Tuff Tray Sand Pit
Sandpits are also ideal for sensory play and a great way to have hours of fun outside with your little ones. This colourful 38-piece sand play set includes sand, plastic road and construction signs and cones, working figures, dinosaur figures, 8 moulds, a roller, a dumper truck, an excavator and a bulldozer. You can add anything you like to this set and even water to change the sensory experience each time.
- SOLO OR GROUP FUN: Make hours of fun with your little ones or keep them busy for hours playing with the soft, and colorful 38 piece sand playset together with their friends.The sand box includes plastic Road & construction signs and cones, working figures, dinsoaur figures, 8 mold set and roller, dump truck, excavator and bulldozer.
4. Slime Kits
Slime can be a total annoyance indoors, so take it outside and still enjoy this sensory activity. It’s a great way to explore different textures and develop fine motor skills. Combine this with a tuff tray or wipeable mat and let your children explore. This slime kit has all the slime supplies to design your own slimy Jurassic world. It features 12 colours of rainbow crystal glossy cloud slime, foam beads, fruit slices, glitter, fishbowl beads, glow-in-the-dark powder and 12 mini dinosaur figures.
- ALL THE SLIME ACCESSORIES YOU NEED : This amazing slime kits for boys and girls comes with all the slime supplies to design your own slimy spooky prehistoric jurassic world : 12 colours of rainbow crystal glossy cloud slime, foam beads, fruit slices, glitter, fishbowl beads, glow in the dark powder and 12 mini dinosaur figures for even more enjoyment for your kids.
5. Leap Horse 1Kg Squeezy Sand
Sand, Slime, or Putty allow your child to play while developing fine motor skills. Children can play with the substance alone, or they can incorporate other objects as well. Also, the substances are often brightly coloured, appealing to their visual senses. This magic sand is a great option. You can create any shape from it, cut it, and mould it. It won’t stick to your hands! The magic sand can hold its shape without water. We love this product as you can put it back into its container when you are finished playing and reuse it repeatedly.
- 1KG (2.2 lbs): Children will have loads of fun. Kids can enjoy sculpting and moulding and can create colourful masterpieces. Leap Horse’s sand comes with assorted vibrant colours.
- 6 FUN MOULDS: Make sea life shapes using the included plastic moulds to easily create your own underwater adventure. This sand clings together and holds its shape, allowing little ones to create beautiful works of art every time.
6. Sensory Swing/Hammock
This therapy swing is made of high-quality material, soft and silky nylon. This children’s hammock can block unwanted sensory stimulation. The swings for children are sturdy and safe and can accommodate up to 100kg. The compression of the cocoon swing helps your child feel secure, similar to hugging or swaddling, so it can be very beneficial for children and teens with sensory processing disorders.
No products found.
7. Discovery Range Mud Kitchen
Mud kitchens are a great way to explore the senses. You can make mud pies, crush flowers with water to make perfumes or make magic potions from outdoor treasures. We love how much you can customise this mud kitchen and tailor it to your child’s likes and dislikes. It even features a section to plant something of your choice.
- Minimum Age Recommendation: 3 Years
- Built in planter
- Brand: Plum
- Type: Kitchen
- Product Dimensions: H 116 x W 160 x D 70 cm
8. Bubbles and Music Machine
Bubbles are a great way to entertain children outdoors. This fun bubble machine also plays music creating a joyful world to play in! This bubble maker produces 3000+ bubbles per minute. It features a cute design and is a lovely addition to the garden. Fantastic for sensory play.
No products found.
9. JoyKip Small Fishing Sand and Water Play Table
Water tables are a great way to enjoy sensory play. With this fishing toy set, you can fill the fish container, and your children can collect and count the number of fish. This set has a durable design and features such as lighting and sound effects. This toy set is suitable for indoor and outdoor use allowing your kids to play fishing and counting games. This fishing set comes with 23 pieces, including fishing rods, 6 floating creatures, drinking glasses, and the fishing net.
No products found.
10. Sensory Chew Necklace
Although not necessarily an outdoor sensory toy, these are still great for children to use whilst out and about. They are a great way to provide sensory stimulation whilst children participate in other activities. They are made from non-toxic silicone material and can be hand-held objects or jewellery-like pieces available in many textures, such as dots, ridges, and patterns. These chewing necklaces are 100% food-grade silicone, non-toxic, BPA-free, with no lead, latex or phthalates. The necklace comes with a breakaway clasp for extra safety for your children. They help to reduce anxiety and stress for those with sensory input disorders. As well as providing a safe alternative to chewing on hands, pens, clothing, and complex objects. They are a safe chewing option for individuals with sensory needs, such as Autism, PDD, and ADHD.
- 【Bright Rainbow Color】 :The cool design is perfect for both boys and girls, kids and adults. Attract attention,Use it as a safe alternative to chewing on one's hands, nails, pencils, shirts, etc. or use at for baby teething.
- 【High Quality Tear Resistant Material】: The chewing necklaces are made of 100% food grade silicone Non-toxic, BPA free, no lead, latex or phthalates. Necklace comes with breakaway clasp for extra safety for your kids.
Let us know if you have ever tried any of these outdoor sensory toys for children or if you know any that we should add to our list in the comments. We love to hear your opinions.