If you’ve booked a forest school session or your young person is taking part in a forest school session through their school you’re probably wondering what they should wear and what they will need. We have looked at some great forest school clothing and equipment to help you out!
So you’re probably thinking about what to dress your child in for forest school and what equipment they will need to take with them. First of all check with your forest school provider, they will usually supply a list of suitable clothing and any equipment they will need. Here we discuss what to wear for forest school and we have looked at some great forest school clothing and equipment to help you out.
Recommended clothing for forest schools
- Long-sleeved t-shirt, to prevent scratches or stings.
- Comfortable long trousers, to prevent scratches or stings.
- Wellies or outdoor boots, waterproof and comfortable is essential.
- In cold or wet weather, wear waterproofs, warm jogging bottoms a hat, gloves, and a warm coat. Don’t forget to layer up! You can always remove items if needed.
- In warm or sunny weather, keep shoulders covered, wear a sunhat, suncream.
It’s important that children wear appropriate clothing to forest school so that they don’t feel cold or uncomfortable and can get the most out of the experience. The right clothing can also prevent scratches or irritations on their skin from being outside.
The majority of the forest schools we have visited simply require waterproofs, wellies/appropriate footwear, always long pants, and comfortable clothing. This of course changes depending on the weather, however, suncream is always essential when spending periods of time outdoors.
Waterproofs for forest school sessions
We live in the UK which means waterproofs are essential no matter the weather forecast beforehand! We’ve picked a few of our favourites for you to consider.
Cartec Waterproof Jacket and Dungarees
We love these Caretec raincoats, they are available in a wonderful range of colours and styles. They are made from soft, waterproof fabric so they are really comfortable. Both the pants and jacket are fleece-lined too. The pants are easy to adjust with the shoulder straps and they also have two little poppers at each side to make the pants a little thinner around the waist/top half.
Buy them here
- Puddle suit including waterproof trousers and waterproof raincoat for kids
Regatta Kids Puddle Waterproof Romper Suit
If you’re after lightweight and compact this Regatta waterproof romper suit is perfect for forest school. They fold up neatly and can be carried in your bag in case of unexpected rain or cold weather. They can be worn over thick joggers or trousers as well as warm tops, winter coats, and hats.
Buy them here
- Waterproof and breathable lightweight polyamide fabric
- Durable water repellent finish
- Taped seams and grown on hood
- Reflective trim helps to keep them seen during low light
- Material composition of polyamide 100 Percent
Trespass Kids Waterproof Dungarees
The Trespass dungarees have been fully tested by my child who loves to play outside in the rain, splash in puddles, and play in the mud. They keep him completely dry and the adjustable ankle straps keep them secure. They are perfect for wet and snowy play. Their breathable material is a bonus. They have a generous fit and they are adjustable so he can wear them for longer.
Buy them here
- Fully Waterproof 100% Polyamide PU coating,
- Front pocket, Generous fit to go over clothing,
- Waterproof 2000mm, Breathable 3000mvp, Windproof, Taped seams
- Unlined (shell)
- Adjustable shoulder straps, Upper body and ankle adjustment tabs,
Footwear for forest schools
It’s really important children wear the correct footwear for forest school. They need to be waterproof, fit properly, feel secure and be comfortable as they will be walking on uneven paths and forest floors.
Demar Wellington Boots
Demar wellies are a great choice, they are really lightweight as they are made from EVA-Foam and come with padded 100% wool socks to add extra warmth to your little one’s feet. They are suitable for both rain and snow. Resistant to damage and water leakage and have an adjustable pull tie at the top. They are soft, flexible, and have a safe non-slip grip sole.
Buy them here
- Toddlers sizes : 5/5.5, 6.5/7.5 and 8/9 UK Child. Little Kids sizes : 9.5/10.5, 11/12, 12.5/13 UK Child. Big Kids size is only 1/2 UK.
- Lightweight EVA-Foam wellies (max 440 gram) with a padded 100% wool socks to add extra warmth to your little one's feet. Suitable for both rain and snow. Resistant to damage and water leakage. Soft, flexible and safe non-slip grip sole. Easy to clean and comfortable to wear.
Vitike Outdoor Shoes
These Vitike children’s outdoor shoes come in lots of styles and colours. They have great reviews for use in forest schools as they are sturdy and will help to protect your child’s feet from rolling on uneven ground. Their fur lining makes them really comfortable and great for winter.
Buy them here
- Cozy: These hiking boots soft shaft fully wraps your little one's calf, delivering a snug fit while protecting tender little toes from unfriendly attack of cold air.
- Warm:High-density plush lining cuddles little toes gently and naturally wicks away moisture for a warm and dry interior.
- Anti-slip Sole: Sturdy antiskid flexible outsole offers superior traction and a lightweight fit,great for kids everyday wear
Trespass Unisex Kid’s Trumpet Wellington Boots
These unisex kids wellington boots are made from robust and fully waterproof rubber with a rugged grip. Perfect for wet walks, or forest schools. Available in multiple colours. They are reasonably priced, sturdy and a great option.
Buy them here
- Children's wellington boots
- Available in two colours: purple, blue
Other essential forest school equipment
Kids Sensitive Spray on Sun Cream Factor 50
Our favourite sun cream spray is the Garnier Ambre Solaire kids sensitive type. It is so easy to use quickly which is great for applying whilst out at a forest school. It immediately protects your kids from both short and long-term sun-induced damage. It can be used on the body and face and the fragrance-free lotion is specially developed for kids’ sensitive skin and is hypoallergenic, to minimise allergy risk
Buy it here
- Sand resistant formula to protect against an itchy sand feeling
- Non-sticky and water resistant
- Tested under paediatric control
- High protection for children's delicate skin
There are so many options for forest school clothing, the most important thing is to keep children warm and dry so that they can concentrate on having fun. Let us know your forest school experiences in the comments.