Essential Forest School Clothing for kids. Forest school sessions are becoming increasingly popular throughout the UK. Ensuring that your child wears the correct clothing, waterproofs and footwear for Forest Schools is essential.
So you’re probably thinking about what to dress your child in for forest school and what equipment they will need to take with them. First of all check with your forest school provider, they will usually supply a list of suitable clothing and any equipment they will need. Here we discuss what to wear for forest school and we have looked at some great forest school clothing, waterproofs, footwear and equipment to help you out.
Recommended clothing for forest schools
- Long-sleeved t-shirt, to prevent scratches or stings.
- Comfortable long trousers, to prevent scratches or stings.
- Wellies or outdoor boots, waterproof and comfortable is essential.
- In cold or wet weather, wear waterproofs, warm jogging bottoms a hat, gloves, and a warm coat. Don’t forget to layer up! You can always remove items if needed.
- In warm or sunny weather, keep shoulders covered, wear a sunhat, suncream.
It’s important that children wear appropriate clothing to forest school so that they don’t feel cold or uncomfortable and can get the most out of the experience. The right clothing can also prevent scratches or irritations on their skin from being outside.
The majority of the forest schools we have visited simply require waterproofs, wellies/appropriate footwear, always long pants, and comfortable clothing. This of course changes depending on the weather, however, suncream is always essential when spending periods of time outdoors.
Forest School Waterproofs for kids
We live in the UK which means waterproofs are essential no matter the weather forecast beforehand! We have tried and tested a number of forest school waterproofs for kids, here are 8 of the best waterproof clothing items for you to consider.
1. Trespass Kids Waterproof Outdoor Rain suit
This Trespass rain suit for kids is waterproof and windproof, perfect for forest schools. It comes in various sizes and colours and importantly the stitching is very secure and the product is really good quality. So far we have put it to the test in heavy rain, muddy forests, snow and many trips outdoors. It’s hard wearing and is machine washable and we find dries very quickly. We love its elasticated cuffs and ankles to help keep heat in. They fit well with room for base layers or just extra layers underneath. Perfect for forest school sessions and it is lighter than a snowsuit but warmer than a puddle suit. Meaning children can comfortably move around outdoors and get stuck in with sessions all while staying warm and dry.
- Padded waterproof suit
- Grown on hood
- Elasticated cuffs and ankles help keep heat in
2. Regatta Kids Waterproof Outdoor Rain Suit
This Regatta waterproof is light and breathable. For forest school sessions lightweight and compact rain suits are really handy. They fold up neatly and can be carried in your bag in case of unexpected rain or cold weather. They can be worn over thick joggers or trousers as well as warm tops, winter coats, and hats. We found this rain suit great quality for the price and really hardwearing, again we love that it features an elasticated waist and cuffs to keep little ones dry and comfortable when outdoor exploring.
- Waterproof and breathable Isolite lightweight polyamide fabric
- Taped seams
- Durable water repellent finish
3. Mountain Warehouse Kids Waterproof Jacket and Trousers
The Mountain Warehouse waterproof jacket and trousers set are tested to withstand 2,000mm of rain in a 24 hour period, so they are suitable for moderate rain! They are very comfortable and breathable and their fabric allows perspiration to pass out of the garment, keeping your kids cool and comfortable while at forest school. They are machine washable and we can honestly say they wash brilliantly and dry very quickly. They have taped seams and waterproof tape runs across all stitched areas, making the item fully rainproof. These are a brilliant addition to a forest school wardrobe!
4. Trespass Kids Waterproof Dungarees
These Trespass dungarees have been fully tested by my child who loves to play outside in the rain, splash in puddles, and play in the mud. They keep him completely dry and the adjustable ankle straps keep them secure. They are perfect for wet and snowy play. Their breathable material is a bonus. They have a generous fit and they are adjustable so he can wear them for longer. These waterproofs are great for forest school sessions and throwing over clothes to stay clean and comfortable.
- Fully Waterproof 100% Polyamide PU coating,
- Front pocket, Generous fit to go over clothing,
- Waterproof 2000mm, Breathable 3000mvp, Windproof, Taped seams
5. Cartec Kids Waterproof Jacket and Dungarees
We love these Caretec raincoats, they are available in a really lovely range of colours and styles. My son loves the dinosaur-themed ones! They are made from soft, waterproof fabric so they are really comfortable. Both the pants and jacket are fleece-lined too. The pants are easy to adjust with the shoulder straps and they also have two little poppers at each side to make the pants a little thinner around the waist/top half. We think these are brilliant to wear at a forest school session.
- Puddle suit including waterproof trousers and waterproof raincoat for kids
6. Trespass Kids Qikpac Compact Pack Away Waterproof Rain Jacket
The Trespass Qikpac jacket is not only practical it also features a modern design you wouldn’t expect from a pack away jacket. It’s windproof, waterproof up to 5000mm and breathable 5000mvp, this is a high performance and functional jacket. We love that this jacket can pack away into a handy-sized pouch so it is easily stowed away in a bag or rucksack. The hood is a fully adjustable grown on hood. The jacket has two zip pockets and full elasticated cuffs and a hem drawcord. This jacket is perfect for warmer forest school sessions with the chance of the odd shower.
- Waterproof up to 5000mm
- Breathable up to 5000mvp
7. Lanbaosi Kids Waterproof Fleece Lined Trousers Thermal
For those colder winter forest school sessions, the Lanbaosi waterproof fleece lined trousers are perfect. They feature a partially elasticated waist at back, and belt loops offer better flexibility. They also have a hook snap button to prevent popping open. They are so warm and comfortable. These are designed for full mobility which makes them perfect for forest school sessions as children get moving around and get involved comfortably.
- Kids Softshell Trousers: Shell is Made Of Polyester, which is Water Resistant and Windproof, Keep Kids Warm and Dry, Fantastic for Snow Days, Great for Hiking, Walking, Camping, Climbing, Snow Travelling, Skiing, Snowboarding, Ice Skating
8. BundleBean Toddler Poncho
We love the Bundlebean toddler poncho. It comes in lots of fun colours and designs and has no fiddly armholes or zips to wrestle with. These ponchos can be thrown on in seconds – perfect for sudden downpours as a forest school! These ponchos give children the total freedom to run, climb trees and jump in puddles. Younger kids will love being able to put these on all by themselves – great for transition to nursery and learning independence. These ponchos are made from top-quality polyester and backed with PU meaning they are 100% waterproof and will keep your little ones dry and protected from the elements.
- EASY TO FIT – no fiddly arm holes or zips to wrestle with. These ponchos can be thrown on in seconds – perfect for sudden downpours
Footwear for forest schools
It’s really important children wear the correct footwear for forest schools. They need to be waterproof, fit properly, feel secure and be comfortable as they will be walking on uneven paths and forest floors.
Demar Wellington Boots
Demar wellies are a great choice, they are really lightweight as they are made from EVA-Foam and come with padded 100% wool socks to add extra warmth to your little one’s feet. They are suitable for both rain and snow. Resistant to damage and water leakage and have an adjustable pull tie at the top. They are soft, flexible, and have a safe non-slip grip sole.
Buy them here
- Toddlers sizes : 5/5.5, 6.5/7.5 and 8/9 UK Child. Little Kids sizes : 9.5/10.5, 11/12, 12.5/13 UK Child. Big Kids size is only 1/2 UK.
- Lightweight EVA-Foam wellies (max 440 gram) with a padded 100% wool socks to add extra warmth to your little one's feet. Suitable for both rain and snow. Resistant to damage and water leakage. Soft, flexible and safe non-slip grip sole. Easy to clean and comfortable to wear.
Vitike Outdoor Shoes
These Vitike children’s outdoor shoes come in lots of styles and colours. They have great reviews for use in forest schools as they are sturdy and will help to protect your child’s feet from rolling on uneven ground. Their fur lining makes them really comfortable and great for winter.
Buy them here
- Cozy: These hiking boots soft shaft fully wraps your little one's calf, delivering a snug fit while protecting tender little toes from unfriendly attack of cold air.
- Warm:High-density plush lining cuddles little toes gently and naturally wicks away moisture for a warm and dry interior.
Trespass Unisex Kid’s Trumpet Wellington Boots
These unisex kids wellington boots are made from robust and fully waterproof rubber with a rugged grip. Perfect for wet walks, or forest schools. Available in multiple colours. They are reasonably priced, sturdy and a great option.
Buy them here
- Children's wellington boots
- Available in two colours: purple, blue
Other essential forest school equipment
Kids Sensitive Spray on Sun Cream Factor 50
Our favourite sun cream spray is the Garnier Ambre Solaire kids sensitive type. It is so easy to use quickly which is great for applying whilst out at a forest school. It immediately protects your kids from both short and long-term sun-induced damage. It can be used on the body and face and the fragrance-free lotion is specially developed for kids’ sensitive skin and is hypoallergenic, to minimise allergy risk
Buy it here
- VERY HIGH PROTECTION: Ambre Solaire Kids Sensitive Advanced Anti-Sand Spray SPF 50+ is perfect for children's sensitive skin and provides immediate protection against UVB and UVA
- SAND REPELLING: Unique spray has a sand repelling action - say no to an itchy sand feeling on skin!
There are so many options for forest school clothing, the most important thing is to keep children warm and dry so that they can concentrate on having fun. Let us know your forest school experiences in the comments.