We believe the greatest gift that a child can receive is the spirit of adventure! We have selected gifts we love for the adventurous kids in your life. Here’s our gift guide for adventurous kids.
It’s important that we give kids every opportunity to spend time being active, outdoors and experiencing nature. It’s good for their mental wellbeing, their development will help them to appreciate the natural world and provides opportunities for them to experience and learn about risk.
If you have adventurous kids or you want to encourage children to be adventurous then our gift guide for adventurous kids is sure to help you.
No matter the age of your child a great way to spark a love of adventure is through books. They are such a simple way to get you started having conversations about different adventures. You’ll soon find out what interests your child most. With books, you can suggest ideas about things to do outdoors, places to visit and introduce adventure or bushcraft activities.
There are so many books to choose from, here are a few of our favourites that are aimed at younger children.
The Boys’ Book of Adventure: Are You Ready to Face the Challenge? By Steve Martin
Don’t be fooled by the title this one is certainly not just for boys! This is an essential book for children everywhere looking for a life filled with adventure. Packed with tips and tricks to help you think like adventure heroes, this book contains all the essential skills needed to get them out of sticky situations and prove themselves as adventurers.
Learn how to read an ancient map, how to dive for pearls, how to climb a rope to safety, how to be a master of dragons, how to solve the Riddle of the Sphinx, how to repair a spacecraft, and much more!
Reading age: 8 years and up
- Mint Condition
- Dispatch same day for order received before 12 noon
- Guaranteed packaging
- No quibbles returns
The Secret Lake: A children’s mystery adventure, by Karen Inglis
For children who prefer to read fiction to get a sense of adventure, The Secret Lake has been described as a modern-day Tom’s Midnight Garden. It has been compared with The Secret Garden and the Enid Blyton and Nancy Drew mystery adventure stories. Its page-turning plot, with its many twists and turns, makes it a firm favourite with both boys and girls.
Karen Inglis describes it as; “A time travel mystery adventure with modern twists – the kind of story that I loved to read as a child, but brought right up to date.”
Reading age: 8 years and up
- Inglis, Karen (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 122 Pages - 08/04/2011 (Publication Date) - Well Said Press (Publisher)
Forest School Adventure: Outdoor Skills and Play for Children, by Dan Westall and Naomi Walmsley
A lovely book that may even encourage your kids to want to attend a forest school or discover forest school activities at home. With this book, you can learn how to light a fire without matches, build a shelter to sleep in, cook on a fire, hunt for bugs and much more.
- Dan Westall (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 176 Pages - 05/07/2018 (Publication Date) - GMC (Publisher)
Den making kits
It’s so natural to want to build a Den as a child. I’m sure your kids have used anything they can find around the house like bed sheets, blankets, and pillows to build a cosy hangout! Why not use this instinct and take things one step further? There are a number of garden Den kits for kids along with plenty of materials you can buy online to make the perfect outdoor Den with your children. Whether you’re thinking of Den building for imaginative play or just to make a safe place for kids to escape to when they need some alone time.
The Den Kit Company, The Original Den Kit
Encourage immersive, exciting, imaginative outdoor play with this authentic Original Den Kit and allow outdoor play to return to its roots. A handy haversack bag contains a robust and durable tool kit for den-building, enabling children to create their very own outdoor hideaway.
- Encourage immersive, exciting, imaginative outdoor play with our authentic Original Den Kit as outdoor play returns to its roots.
- A handy haversack bag contains a robust and durable tool kit for den-building, enabling children to create their very own outdoor hideaway - Made for adventure.
- Offering every child an outdoor experience whatever the weather, our Den Kits have been lovingly designed to capture creative imaginations, encourage resourcefulness and innovation, provide escape and sanctuary, and most of all supply hours and hours of simple fun.
- Includes our wonderful handmade Shropshire wooden mallet with an imagination-capturing rustic look.
- For boys and girls, for everywhere and for years to come - the gift of adventure.
Kids Army Den Making Kit
This outdoor Den kit looks really impressive when built, great for imaginative play. Many of us have forgotten how exciting the simplest things in life can be. There’s nothing more thrilling than building outdoor, real Den-making. Adventure is lacking in so many children’s lives. Far too many have never learned basic building and bushcraft skills for kids.
There are lots of dig/discovery kits available where you can dig for artefacts, fossils, gemstones or poop! Perfect for children who show an interest in History and Science. These types of discovery toys are thoroughly entertaining and educational. Archaeology kits are a really engaging activity and make wonderful gifts.
National Geographic Dinosaur Dig Kit
National Geographic dinosaur dig is an exciting hands-on adventure that boys and girls love! Become a real palaeontologist and explore fossils that are millions of years old. The included full-colour learning guide allows you to identify and learn all about each specimen you uncover! Spark a love of history and science, and learn all about dinosaurs with National Geographic!
- Includes genuine dinosaur fossils
- Softer dig brick material for easy digging
- Themes dig bricks for added WOW factor
- Custom digging tools that are comfortable
- Learning guide
National Geographic Gemstone Dig Kit
National Geographic’s Gemstone Dig is an exciting hands-on adventure that kids absolutely love! Your child will become a treasure hunter as they carefully uncover spectacular gemstones using the digging tools provided. National Geographic’s full-colour learning guide makes identifying each specimen easy. The guide is also packed full of information and amazing facts about their crystals.
- DIG UP REAL CRYSTAL TREASURES - give your child the thrill of excavating real gemstones from this dig brick as they become a treasure hunter
- FIND 3 AMAZING GENUINE GEMSTONES - uncover genuine amethyst, quartz and tiger's eye crystals and gemstones to start your rock collection
- FULL-COLOUR LEARNING GUIDE with easy-to-follow instructions teaches your child about geology by illustrating how gemstones are formed and mined, and helps young scientists identify each specimen as it’s discovered
- AWARD WINNING TOY - Gold medal winner in the educational category of the Independent Toy Awards
- SET CONTAINS a dig brick with 3 genuine gemstones, chisel, brush, magnifying glass, and learning guide
Getting muddy and playing in the dirt is such a natural instinct for kids. Make a ‘messy mud play’ designated area. You could buy a mud kitchen or make your own from scrap material. Even just supply some old pots and pans and a spoon for mixing. Make sure you have dirt and access to a water source.
Children will get super messy but the physical and emotional benefits from playing in the mud outweigh the mess! There are some great tutorials on how to build your own mud kitchen. Ket children involved making one with you. Or you could buy one ready-made. Either way, they promote adventurous and imaginative play.
Wooden Junior Chef Mud Kitchen
A two-station wooden mud kitchen packed with play activity. Four hobs, an oven, a splash tub and storage shelves all feature. There’s a big blackboard space to record favourite recipes, just what every busy chef needs. A stainless steel utensil set completes this superb wooden mud kitchen.
Built dimensions are 95 x 38 x 88 cm. Height to hob is 56 cm.
Suitable for children ages 3 and above.
- The TP Junior Chef Wooden Mud Kitchen is made from FSC certified timber
- Two station kitchen, with wet and dry activity areas, plenty of room for 2 children to play
- Includes easy to remove generously sized splash tub, a starter set of stainless steel pans and a mixing whisk
- Features a painted hob area with 4 hobs, easy to open and shut oven door
- Perfect for sand play too and a big blackboard space to record favourite recipes
TP Toys Early Fun Mud Kitchen Playhouse Accessory
This includes a fun water bucket with a tap as well as a removable splash tub ideal for mud mixing. There is a roomy painted hob area with a fun DIY stencil to create hob rings and ‘mud kitchen’ logos. Sold complete with a starter set of stainless steel pans with a mixing whisk.
Suitable for ages 3 years and above.
- Includes fun water butt with tap as well as removeable splash tub ideal for mud mixing
- Roomy painted hob area with fun DIY stencil to create hob rings and 'mud kitchen' logos
- Sold complete with a starter set of stainless steel pans with mixing whisk
- Bowl capacity 4kg of mud/sand (not supplied) or 4 litres of water
- Suitable for ages 3 years and above
Walkie talkies are great fun and allow your kids to talk to each other from all over the house, around the garden, or around a campsite when camping. There are lots of different types of walkie talkies for kids and we have picked out some of the best below. There are particular models that also have safety features and waterproof ones for the super adventurous. Others are very simple they come in a range of colours, designs and even kids favourite TV characters these are made especially for fun!
Kearui Toys Kids Walkie Talkies
We love these colourful walkie talkies. They make a perfect gift for kids aged 3-12. They are available in a variety of colours. They are one of the best walkie talkies for kids due to the range of child-friendly features. They have a cool call alert function, crisp and smooth sound quality and an adjustable volume level. They are also equipped with a key lock function.
The small and light body allows kids to use them easily, weighing just 90g per walkie talkie this makes them easy to carry. They fit comfortably in children’s hands due to their ergonomic design. An uncomplicated push-to-talk button makes this toy easy to use.
A great first walkie talkie for kids.
- Perfect Gift for Kids: Gift for 3-12 year old boys, teen girl gifts, walkie talkies for kids teen boy gifts birthday. Great for both indoor and outdoor activities such as going shopping, spring outing and summer camping.
- Clear Sound and Key Lock Function: Kids walkie talkies have cool call alert function, crisp and smooth sound quality with adjustable volume level. Equipped with key lock function, it is not easy for children to modify the channels to enhance the fun of parent-child interaction.
- Ergonomic Design: Small and light body allow kids easy to use and just 90g per walkie talkie is easy to carry, these will fit comfortably in children's hands with ergonomic design. An uncomplicated push-to-talk button makes this toy easy to use for 3-12 years old girls.
- Perfect Adventure Kids Toys: Situation can be real-time monitoring of children, anti wandered off, intelligent alarm system etc. Stay connecting with your friends and families especially in outdoor activities, the best outdoor toys for boys and girls.
- Easy to Use: Modern compact design. Simple push to talk operation, double click to activate a beep single. Broadcast to one or multiple units, ability to use different channels.
Binoculars are an essential part of any child’s adventure backpack. Inspire those curious minds to closely observe insects, birds and animals. They are great for bird watching which is a lovely way to spend some time forgetting the busyness of the week. You can do this anywhere, in your garden, on the coast or in an open field. They all work great and if you mix it up you’ll spot a variety of species of birds. All you need is patience, some binoculars. However, if you’re child isn’t interested in bird watching, any adventure can be taken to new heights with a decent quality set of binoculars.
Atopdream Shock Proof Binoculars
This entire product is wrapped in a rubber layer, which protects the binoculars from accidental damage. At the same time, the outer rubber layer also increases adhesion, making it easier for children to grip it and not easy to fall off. These binoculars have a super magnification of 8X. They also have a high-quality ruby lens with BAK4 prism blue coating optics that deliver clear, sharp and colourful images.
Monthly Nature Subscription Boxes
Monthly nature subscription boxes are a perfect gift idea that will inspire your child month after month. They will look forward to it arriving! Lot’s of them contain activity ideas, craft ideas, recipes or gardening suggestions which is a lovely way to get children excited about engaging with nature. Most offer one-off boxes or 3/6/12 month subscriptions so you are sure to find one suitable for you.
Here’s a couple of our favourites to have a look at;
Mud & Bloom – www.mudandbloom.com
Mud & Bloom boxes are for 3-8 year olds and delivered through your letterbox at the beginning of each month. Each box includes everything you need for four seasonal gardening and nature craft activities along with nature news, spotting activities and games to teach children about animals, plants, insects, birds and the seasons.
Their seeds are certified organic and biodynamic wherever possible. They also provide organic peat-free compost pellets in each box so you can get planting immediately. Activities have been created by qualified teachers and support the national curriculum with influence from Forest School, Steiner and Montessori education.
Willow & Wild Box – www.willowandwildbox.co.uk
Discover a new way for your creative explorers to play and learn about nature through the seasons with Willow & Wild Box. A personalised, monthly subscription box for 3 – 8 year olds. Packed full of materials and activities focusing on gardening, craft, cooking, making, creating and getting children outside.
All box contents are plastic-free (where possible) recyclable and seeds are organic. From £9.95 per month.
Hopefully, we have given you some gift inspiration for the adventurous kids in your life! Let us know in the comments gifts that encourage adventure your children love.