One of my favourite things about spending time with my son outdoors is the calming effect it has on him…and me! Here are 10 outdoor activities that can be calming for children.
Over the past year and a half, we have had to spend a lot more time indoors which has greatly affected children’s ability to regulate their emotional responses to stress. We all need an outlet for our energy, especially children.
A really easy and effective way to improve emotional regulation skills is simply by going outside together. Outdoor activities can be extremely calming, there are so many positives that come from being in nature and engaging with it. It can calm even the most restless children. Being outside provides space for them to run, play and take risks in a safe environment. Here are 10 outdoor activities to calm children.
What are the benefits of getting outdoors with children?
- Outdoor activities are a really great way to release built-up energy in a healthy way.
- Time outdoors raises Vitamin D levels which are proven to help to reduce depression and anxiety.
- Symptoms of ADHD have been shown to improve for many children after spending time in nature.
- It offers time away from busy routines and everyday life which can be very calming for children.
1. Go for a nature walk
The easiest way to enjoy an outdoor activity together is to simply go on a walk through nature. You can do this in virtually any space, we love to visit local parks and try out different trails. Take a nature hunt checklist with you. Or just take a bag and collect interesting bits of nature such as leaves, twigs and pinecones.
2. Paint rocks
Painting rocks is a brilliant way to be mindful with children as well as creating something beautiful from nature. Children love collecting rocks of different shapes and sizes, so it’s fun to use their natural curiosity to hunt down some special rocks, take them home and paint them together. We love painting different characters on each rock and making the story’s from the stones. This is a great way to use all of that amazing childhood imagination! You can go one step further and hide them in a local area for others to find on their own nature adventures.
3. Make shadow art
We love this shadow art activity because it is such a simple way for your child to improve their focus. This is something that can then in turn can lower a child’s anxiety. All you need is paper, a pencil or crayon, toy figures (we find animals and dinosaurs work well), and a sunny day!
4. Sort nature into colours
Another really easy activity is to spend some time outside with your child gathering leaves and flowers and sorting them into different colour groups. This is a fun way to create nature collages as well. All you need is glue and paper. See what you can create together!
Stargazing is such a wonderful way to escape everyday life distractions and connect with your children. You can have meaningful conversations between spotting the stars. These are moments of calm and mindfulness that teach skills to last their lifetime. You can download great free apps online that name and explain the stars, planets and constellations you are looking at. They are a fantastic tool for further learning and something we love to use especially on camping trips. You can now get some fantastic value telescopes for under £100, which will allow you and your children to view stars, planets and the moon in much more detail.
Recommended Telescope for kids on Amazon
- 【High Magnification】360mm(f/5.1) focal length and 70mm aperture, fully coated optical glass with high transmission coatings creates stunning images with increased brightness and clarity. Protect your eyes.Perfect Refracting telescope for beginners or kids to explore sky
6. Have a campfire
Practically, campfires teach fire safety, fire-lighting skills and offer a calming space using the natural environment. This is a great therapeutic tool as you are creating a welcoming, cosy and safe setting for children to express themselves and connect with the people around them. They are a lovely way to spend time as a family, be open with each other, tell a story or two and toast marshmallows. Learn about the best wood to use on a fire pit here.
Recommended Fire Pit on Amazon
- 🔥Revitalise & enhance your outdoor space with this 50cm cast iron fire pit, a stylish addition that brings warmth and ambiance to your garden or patio.
- 🔥Versatile design allows for both wood logs and charcoal burning, providing you with options for creating the perfect fire for your outdoor gatherings.
7. Make a mess in a mud kitchen
Mud kitchens are a brilliant tool to guide imaginative play. Children can experiment with ideas and stories, and explore different textures and consistencies freely. Playing in the mud and dirt and taking part in an activity they wouldn’t normally do can be very therapeutic and calming for children. You can buy these already made or get crafty together and make your own from recycled materials.
Recommended Mud Kitchen on Amazon
- THE ULTIMATE KIDS MUD KITCHEN: This playset includes pretend stove top, easy open oven, working tap, removable water bowl, and plenty of storage for cooking equipment and toddler outdoor toys. Kid's delight in messy playtime with sand and water!
- PACKED WITH PLAY: Are you ready to cook? Use the oven or one of the four hob rings. There's a blackboard for keeping track of favourite recipes, as well as a large bottom shelf for storing utensils, full set of accessories and mud pie masterpieces.
8. Cook outdoors together
Using fire children have made themselves, preparing and cooking the food they are going to eat is calming and very satisfying for children. They can discover the wonders of food changing their state through preparation and heat and feel the satisfaction of eating food they’ve worked to make. Cooking is a really relaxing way to spend time together.
Recommended Fire Pit BBQ on Amazon
- STURDY STEEL CONSTRUCTION -- Outdoor fire pits is made of sturdy steel which means you can rest assured that you will use it for long time. Garden fire pits features a circular steel ring prevents anyone getting to close and getting burned and it is portable can be placed anywhere in the yard. There are 4 strong legs to maintain the best stability. The diamond shaped mesh ensures the proper flow of oxygen in the BBQ fire pit and guarantees you a consistent and large fire throughout the night.
9. Try gardening together
Gardening is really good for our mental health. Giving children the opportunity to learn how to grow and care for plants is a great way to give them responsibility. It’s a great way to be in the moment, it will help them feel calm and grounded.
Recommended Garden Set for kids
- 🌻 ACTIVITY SET INCLUDES: 5 x Packs of seeds – wildflowers seeds, sunflower seeds, cress seeds, pea & bean seeds. 5 x Planting labels/ Wooden Plant markers. 5 x biodegradable plant pots. 5 x Compost Discs. 5 x Activities sheets for kids..
10. and our personal favourite…head to the beach!
We are so very lucky to live close to the beach, whenever things get a little much, we grab a bucket and a spade and head to the beach to rockpool, play, paddle and watch the sunset. In the Winter we wrap up and take in the sea air. It’s hard not to feel calm and at peace at the beach, we find the change in scenery works wonders for children to feel calmer.
Let us know your favourite outdoor activity to calm children in the comments. We love to hear from you.