If you want to get the most out of your fire pit with no clouds of unwelcome smoke. This article is for you, from tips on keeping your firepit clean to materials that will keep the smoke from billowing into your outdoor environment. Here you will learn what to burn in a firepit without smoke.
Nothing is cosier than an evening gathered around a fire with loved ones, but if your fire produces lots of smoke rather than heat, it can quickly feel like a much less enjoyable experience.
So, what should you burn in your fire to ensure you don’t create excess smoke? Please keep reading for our helpful tips on choosing and burning the right woods so that everyone can get the most out of their precious moments spent cuddling up by the campfire.
Why is my fire pit smoking so much?
You might be burning wood that has not been dried adequately.
If your fire pit is smoking a lot, it is usually the result of burning firewood with excess moisture. Green or unseasoned wood contains a high moisture content and produces a lot of smoke when burned in the pit. In addition, certain types of wood give off more smoke than others when burned in a fire pit, so knowing which type of wood works best will help considerably reduce smoking from your fire pit.
You might be burning types of wood containing pitch/sap.
These naturally occurring substances found in wood can also cause your fire to produce excess smoke.
The wood may have been stacked incorrectly.
If there isn’t enough air flowing through the firepit, it can create excessive amounts of smoke. Ensure there is adequate space between each layer so that there will be sufficient airflow.
You might have a dirty fire pit.
A messy, poorly maintained fire pit can lead to lots of smoking due to carbon build-up, which reduces proper ventilation for efficient burning.
Don’t burn debris.
If you burn old leaves, grass clippings, straw, rubbish, or other debris in your firepit, you will encourage it to produce more smoke. It can also create hazardous toxins. Stick to firewood for your fires.
Is fire pit smoke dangerous?
Burning wood in a fire pit can create smoke that contains harmful elements such as carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and methane. These elements can pollute the air you breathe and damage any trees or vegetation nearby. You can enjoy an outdoor fire safely by not sitting close to it so you don’t breathe in the smoke. Keeping the smoke to a minimum by burning the correct firewood is the best way to safely enjoy an outdoor fire pit.
Ways to reduce fire pit smoke and safety tips:
- Use untreated or dry wood: Always use well-seasoned wood and store it to keep it dry.
- Keep your fire and logs small: Keeping fires small is safer and better. Smaller fires burn hotter, more completely and with less smoke.
- Ensure your fire is built correctly: Stack your kindling first. Use eco-firelighters. Ensure the firewood is well stacked/shaped and allows air to circulate. You can read how to make a fire here safely.
- Don’t use other accelerants to start your fire: Please be aware that accelerants like gasoline can cause fires to become out of control quickly. They can also release toxins into the air. Use firelighters instead, and you can get eco-friendly firelighters.
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby: Having a water source near your fire will ensure you are ready to act if the flames spread or get out of control.
What to burn in a firepit without smoke
Dry firewood is the best thing to burn in a fire pit to minimise smoke. We highly recommend kiln-dried firewood for fire pits. The moisture content is so low that smoke is minimal when burning kiln-dried firewood. All firewood has some moisture, but if the wood is particularly damp, it will produce more smoke upon burning. So, keep your firewood dry after purchase, store it in a covered area and keep it out of the rain.
Ecoblaze Kiln Dried Firewood
- It ignites instantly.
- 100% natural for a clean and odourless burn.
These Silver Birch hardwood logs have been cut, split, and kiln-dried to burn perfectly. They have spent an additional day in the kiln to minimise moisture and, therefore, have 20% or less moisture. All the logs are hand-packed and delivered in sturdy and recyclable boxes. These strongboxes are very convenient for transporting and storing your firewood.
- SILVER BIRCH HARDWOOD LOGS: These Silver Birch hardwood logs have been taken from the finest trees and have been cut, split and kiln-dried for the perfect burning experience.
- SUITABLE FOR STOVES, OPEN FIRES, FIRE PITS AND MORE: Whatever your need, our hardwood logs are perfect for all wood-burning activities. Our kiln dried logs can be used in a wood burner, fire pit, or chiminea.
- KILN-DRIED WOOD WITH MOISTURE GUARANTEE: This box of firewood has spent an additional day in the kiln to minimise moisture. The moisture levels of our logs are 20% or less and feature the Woodsure Ready to Burn logo.
- HAND-PACKED AND ECO-FRIENDLY PACKAGING: All our logs are hand-packed and delivered in sturdy and recyclable boxes. These strongboxes are very convenient for transporting and storing your firewood. This product is for one box of birch logs.
- ABOUT US: Ecoblaze supplies top quality biomass fuel products to the UK. We seek variety, accessibility and quality in our range of wood fuel products to enhance the way you heat your home and create the best wood burning conditions – indoors and outdoors.
Lekto Woodfuels Hardwood Heat Logs
- Less than 9% moisture content.
- The leftover ash can be used as garden fertiliser.
- Logs are sourced from sustainable forests without any added chemicals.
These logs are sourced from well-managed sustainable forests, and they have added chemicals. The moisture content of these firewood logs is below 9%. This means the logs can burn more cleanly, producing less smoke and more heat. Heat logs protect your log burner and chiminea, producing less smoke and little ash. The ash that is left over can be used as garden fertiliser.
- 💧 LOW MOISTURE CONTENT: Sourced from well managed, sustainable forests without any added chemicals. The moisture content of these firewood logs is below 9%. This means the logs can burn more cleanly, producing less smoke and more heat. Ready to Burn Certified.
- 🔥 EASY TO LIGHT & LITTLE ASH: By using heat logs, you are protecting your log burner and chiminea as they produce less smoke and very little ash. The ash that is left over can be used as garden fertiliser.
- ✔️ SUITABLE FOR: Thanks to its multi use heating properties, each hardwood log can be used indoors for a log burner and wood stoves as well as outdoors for open fires, BBQ, Chimineas and cassette fires.
- 📦 INCLUDED IN THE BOX: These hardwood heat logs are supplied in easy to store cardboard boxes. Each split log is 27cm long, making them easier to store. Make the most of your firewood by combining them with Lekto’s kindling. You will receive 40 logs.
- 🧱 ABOUT LEKTO WOODFUELS: We are a UK supplier of high quality, sustainable, wood heating & fuel products. We deliver to your door with minimum fuss & great service. We have confidence in our products & are always pushing to deliver innovative & new ideas. We really care about our environmental impact, at the moment we are cutting plastic from production!
Firepits that produce less smoke
Cleanburn Smokeless Fire Pit with Wind Guard, Easy Clean Ash Tray and Locking Base
- It features a bottom vent which pulls oxygen in, feeding the flames from below.
- Made from durable stainless steel, which is rust-resistant.
This fire pit features a bottom vent that pulls oxygen in, feeding the flames from below; this design increases the airflow and produces less smoke. The ash collects into the ashtray; the separate ashtray will keep the embers and coals contained so they don’t clog the airflow.
- DOUBLE WALL DESIGN This smokeless design increases airflow and burning process.
- Airflow: the lower vents draw in oxygen, feed the flames from below, while also traveling between the double walls, causing the air to heat up.
- EASY TO CLEAN ASHTRAY The ash collects inside the ashtray making cleanup a breeze. This separate ashtray keeps the embers and coals contained, so they do not clog the airflow.
- Easy to install: no tools required. Simply place the fire bowl on the base ashtray and it is ready to use. Clamps together for compact storage.
- STAINLESS STEEL INSIDE AND BASE Durable stainless steel interior is rust resistant. No need to purchase a special type of wood, this works with standard logs..REAL FIRE PIT HEAT: Use only on brick, concrete, stone or other masonry surfaces. Do not use on lawns, wooden decks, artificial wood or asphalt. Keep the outdoor fire pit away from buildings, structures, flammable objects and vehicles at least 3 m.
Solo Stove Fire Pit Bonfire with Stand
- A wood-burning fire pit that produces minimal smoke.
- This fire pit is portable and includes a carry case.
This fire pit receives fantastic reviews. It’s portable and features a double wall design that maximises airflow and the burning process. The bottom vent holes allow oxygen to feed the fire from below while channelling warm oxygen up between the walls of the stove and back into the fire. In addition, this firepit will give you a complete burn meaning less mess to clean.
- MOST UNIQUE FIRE PIT: Solo Stove Bonfire pushes the limits of both combustion airflow efficiency and minimalist outdoor design with its all stainless steel construction. It was brilliantly engineered to provide a backyard fire pits for garden that cannot be duplicated. Our patent pending design sold over $1.1M sold on kickstarter.
- SECONDARY COMBUSTION: The portable heater has double wall design maximizes airflow and burning process. Bottom vent holes allow oxygen to the feed the fire from below while simultaneously channeling warm oxygen up between the walls of the stove and back into the fire.
- A MORE EFFICIENT BURN: A more complete chiminea for garden burn means the little particles that would have been smoke are burned up by the top vents. It also means no more half burned logs to deal with.
- BONFIRE STAND: Get the most from your Bonfire camp stove by being able to use it in more places than ever! With ample airflow, the stand accessory allows you to use your portable fire pit on more heat sensitive surfaces.
- EASY TO USE & PORTABLE: This camping stove singular construction completely removes the need for parts and assembly! Bring it from your backyard patio to camping, or tailgating! Great for RVs and campers! 49,5 x 44,5 cm size outdoor heaters fire pits.
BioLite FirePit+ Outdoor Smokeless Fire Pit and Grill
- The free Bluetooth app allows you to control the size of your flames remotely.
- Creates hyper-efficient flames with patented airflow technology.
Enjoy a wood fire without the smoke; the BioLite FirePit creates hyper-efficient flames with patented airflow technology. You can also lift the fuel rack and add charcoal, transforming it from a woodburning fire pit to a portable hibachi-style grill with an included grill grate. You can also control the size of your flames manually or remotely.
- Enjoy the warmth, smell, crackle, and feel of a wood campfire, without any of the smoke. Our latest upgrade to the awared-winning BioLite FirePit creates hyper-efficient flames with patented airflow technology and gives you a front-row seat to the magic thanks to the X-Ray mesh body, enabling 360 views. Lift the fuel rack and toss in charcoal to transform it from a fire pit to a portable hibachi style grill, complete with an included grill grate.
- Control the size of your flames manually or remotely with the free Bluetooth app.
- Upgraded body design radiates heat outward. Upgraded High-temp enamel coating for durability and easy cleaning.
- Upgraded 12,800 mAh battery for longer burntimes.Fuel: Burns firewood or charcoal. Burntime: 30hr on LOW, 14hr on MED, 7hr on HI
- Dimensions: 27" x 13" x 15.8". Weight: 19.8 lbs
Have you considered a gas fire pit instead?
These are smokeless and come in various styles that look great in your garden. We have listed the benefits of a gas fire pit below.
- No smoke or mess: With a gas firepit, you won’t have to worry about smoke or ash like wood-burning firepits.
- Easy to maintain: Gas firepits are easy to clean and maintain since they only require periodic refilling of fuel sources such as propane tanks.
- Versatile design options: You have control over the style and shape of your gas firepit, giving you plenty of options when designing your outdoor space.
- Heat output control: With a gas firepit, you can control how much heat it produces.
- Flexible placement options: Unlike traditional wood burning pits, gas ones don’t require constant ventilation, so you have more flexibility in placing them around your patio or deck area.
Thanks for reading; we hope this article has been helpful and you have learnt how to produce less smoke while using your fire pit. So now you enjoy many evenings gathered around your firepit with friends and family. Check out our other blog posts for more tips and ways to enjoy the outdoors.